Full Name: Heinrich Stoltz
Nickname: Traveler
Home Town: Springs
Current 4x4: Patrol 3.0 GL,
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Front Difflock

Post by Traveler »

Coltenator wrote:Hi Traveller
Kobus from RED PEPPER is doing the bull bar back bumper and dual rock sliders.
Where is he located?
:redface: sorry for the stupid question.

I want to fit a replacement front bumper in the next couple of weeks.
With your words you set into motion the direction your life will go.
Coltenator
Full Name: Quentin Hagen
Nickname: Coltenator
Home Town: Saldanha bay
Current 4x4: 2006 4.8GRX Patrol
2001 3.0 v6 Colt Rodeo D/C SOLD

Post by Coltenator »

He is on the West Coast,vredenburg,little bit far from you i see!!!!! :thumbdown:
2007 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Drwr system,Frdg,dbl bat systm ,Cheetah roofrack,35" m/t tyres, rear air helpers, snorkel
COLT RODEO 4x4 D/C 3.0 V6
Full ome susp,50mm bdylift,33" m/t,branches,fflow,chip,custom frt ,rear bumpers,rock sliders,dual bat systm
PatrolNW
Full Name: Danis
Nickname: PatrolNW
Home Town: Rustenburg
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8
Nissan Patrol 4.2
Nissan Safari 2.8 Diesel

Post by PatrolNW »

Hi,

I have the ARB front and rear in a 4.8, had it installed when the vehicle had 5000km on the clock i have probably done about 40000km offroad since then in the desert, mud and rocks never had any issues and in normal unlock position No issues at all, just change oil regularly (110w)

Nothing compares to ARB
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

PatrolNW wrote:Nothing compares to ARB
Not True. Eaton E-Locker is the new kid on the block that beats the pants off the ARB.

ARB has a lifetime of bad reviews due to longstanding design flaws that ARB never remedied. Everything from leaking lines, perished seals,intermittent locking, push ring cracking, lots of moving parts (some of them Plastic!), etc etc..

Eaton E-Locker. activation is by means of electromagntetics, so no need for pump. Very few moving parts, all metal and hugely robust. Genius design. Eaton been around for ages and has 4 different diff lockers in their range, this is the latest addition. Electromagnet activation is now patented by Eaton.

ARB has become a household name for 2 main reasons:

1: Up till now there hasn't really been anything better. There have been lockers that do just as well, but not better.
2: Marketing and distribution channels, ARB marketing was exceptionally good. Sponsorship at Comp Truck level made them what they are today.

But, that is changing. People are not prepared to stick it out with them anymore.

I can appreciate the fact that there are many folk who have never once had a problem with the ARB locker, thats a given, but there are just as many stories out there of people who have had issues unfortunately. One thing about the ARB product i like, is that they have a huge distribution level, so parts acquisition doesn't prove to be a problem...although reading that back to myself it annoys me that i should be worrying about spare parts.

One day soon im gonna put a front locker in my Patrol and it will be the Eaton E-Locker, no question about it.

Another one to consider is the TJM Pro -Locker, also considered to be stronger, however it uses the same technology (air lines and seals etc).
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi Russ

I read this review of the Eaton ELocker from a Jeep forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f249/eat ... er-771843/)
"The 8.8 version use pins that lock the spider gears. When shifting from forward to reverse the unit unlocks and relocks. This can round off the end of the pins over time causing the unit to fail. Not a robust design."

My view is no system is full proof (except maybe the Patrol chassis!), but certain systems are definitely more robust than others.
E.g. the Patrol factory locker is in my view not robust at all. I use mine very carefully, engaging and disengaging it only when standing still.
The ARB system I know has been used and abused as if unbreakable. And, sure, if you try hard enough, you can break anything. Especially in the sponsored competitions. Probably the best add for the Patrol drivetrain coupled with ARB lockers is Wimpie from Lichtenburg. Since he is a very aggressive driver. But admittedly I understand he had at some point develop a leak in the compression pipes.

One problem I have with the ARB though is that it apparently does not disengage easily unless you are standing still again. So e.g. if you need to engage the front locker, then need to turn sharply on the same obstacle, while maintaining your momentum, the ARB may be problematic.

Do you perhaps know how easily the Eaton ELocker disengages?
The other question for me is steering ability, when installed on the front. Which is why I am also thinking of perhaps rather installing an LSD system on the front. Especially given that we can still obtain more flex from the front axle with superflex arms and quick disconnects.
So perhaps a similar product by the same providers: Eaton Truetrac: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f249/eat ... ac-771848/
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Hi Alex.

Yes, i read the same review months ago, BUT, apparently (from a more recent article i read from EATON/Harrops) , they have changed the design of the 8.8 (as found in most big fords i think and some Dana axles), to match that of the others. This unlocking when reversing is not an issue anymore according to the literature and the diff remains completely locked as long as that electro connection is kept constant. I believe the original unit had a runout of 60mm,so when u reverse there was a short moment when it unlocked and then locked again (all within that 60mm movement).

Seems they have an addition to the Elocker pin lock by means of the Collar lock

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... PTYspri_nA

I trawled through the Patrol4x4.com forum and found alot of happy Auzzies running the Elocler for some time now and no reports of the lock/unlock situation, so i would assume the patrol version would be using the collar lock design. but i may be wrong.

I believe whole heartedly that this is the new generation, and that one will slowly see a massive movement from ARB to Eaton world wide.

Eaton have just celebrated their 100th bithday, so they have actually been around longer than ARB. I know in the states they are king, and their application is on huge Yankee trucks running massive horse power (far more than we ever run here in general), so i assume that strength would be regarded as a priority for Eaton. Minimal moving parts, no air lines, no mainfold leaks, no perished seals, no compressor, no water build up in the tank/compressor due to operating temps and duration, instant lock and unlock,simple design,all metal......i reckon i'd take a shot and get one of these.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Well if a person only needs to wires to a diff to make it work I would go for that one too
Must say I have had no problems with my staandard rear one but if it dies will go for one of these
How does the price compare to eg ARB?????
Who sells them in SA?
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Russ

This all sounds good.
Like Tinus, also still waiting for my standard locker to die!
Do you know who sells in SA and price?
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Ja, i have no idea who is stocking the product as yet. I imagine Opposite Lock would be able to assist as they a retailer in Auz? To be honest, i
ve done alot of reading on the unit, but not much investigating as to the availability here.....

However , i was having a discussion about this on another forum and a guy with a LC 100 was looking for a front unit. They had them here in SA for Patrol and Cruiser,both front and rear, but he didn;t say where he sourced them from. I'll delve back into the forum and see if i can pick that up..

As far as Nissan Factory lockers are concerned, i've never heard one bad thing about them, i wish my Pickup came with one as standard though, still blows my mind as to what Nissan was thinking....the vehicle truly designed to carry heavy loads in rough conditions like mines, agriculture etc and they dont fit a rear locker as standard as the bare minimum.... eish.

When funds allow i'll put an E-Locker in the front diff of my Pickup, and just shim the rear LSD a little.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

SA suppliers with branches in the big cities.
http://www.sportsvans.co.za/index.html

Return to “10. Drivetrain”