Full Name: Pursell
Nickname: Mike
Home Town: Nottingham
Current 4x4: Patrol 2.8 GR SE
Home Language: English

solo trip next year

Post by transnamib »

Hello to everyone.

I'd be grateful for some advice if anyone can offer it. I am planning another visit to Namibia (last one was solo, down to Fish river, the Orange river, Luderitz and so on.) That was four years ago. This trip will also be solo, taking in the garden route (D707) and then heading north to Sesfontein and maybe the Kunene.

Apart from the fact I am 65 (I know, I know, shouldn't be travelling alone) does anyone have any up to date advice about safety when travelling Namibia? I don't mean safety from wildlife (though any tips about that would be welcome) but from people. I have always felt very safe there though I have always kept out of towns and stayed in lodges with occasional wild camping. As an elderly Brit I just want to make sure I am clued up on the present situation and not likely to wander anywhere ill-advised. Sorry to say it but I wouldn't contemplate such a trip in SA - a great pity since I would dearly love to see that beautiful country.

I am hoping to be travelling in my trusty Y61 fifteen year old Patrol, though if I have to make a visit shorter than a month (SWAMBO will be anxious every day I am away, and new grandchildren will make me homesick) I will probably end up renting something.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am of course hoping everyone will say GO - NO PROBLEMS.
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 2004 GL TD42
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: solo trip next year

Post by JoshJ »

Hi,

A friend of mine was in Namibia in june. He only went as far north as swakopmund. Came in from the south. He said that his bakkie was broken into at swakopmund whilst they where dune boarding. The local police said that its a new thing and only during popular holidays. Also only in the large towns. They caught them quickly though and he got all his stuff back.

I am leaving for Namibia the week after next for 3 weeks. Only touring through the south though. We toured the northern part in 2008. Go. Just keep an open mind about things and use common scene. :mytwocents:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
James
Full Name: James Craythorne
Nickname: James
Home Town: Cape Town North
Current 4x4: 1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GSX
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GX
Home Language: english

Post by James »

Hi,
I have been to Namibia 3 times this year no problems.
I also take visitors through from Cape Town to Vic Falls via Namibia.
Check out my Face Book page 'MAMMOTH ADVENTURES'
Talk to me ,when?
Want to rent what?
I rent out my fitted 99 go anywhere GRX!

James
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by David »

Hi -Traditionally I have done most of Namibia solo but a few years back we did Kaokoland solo without a GPS and got lost on the first day for a whole day ! Luckily I could plot my location on a Tracks for Africa map with co-ordinates from my cellphone to guide me back to roads that are actually on the map. We nearly turned back home when we ran into a French family with a hired 4x4 and GPS going the same places we planned. This trip convinced me of the importance of a GPS and I got one for Christmas :lol: It is also more relaxing knowing that you have someone who can assist should something go wrong. Ironically my fuel was a bit low at the end of the trip due to the first days additional driving and I could not do the full Puros canyon trip and had to turn around to Sesfontein for fuel. My French buddies got stuck that same day in the canyon for 3 days before getting recovered ! Yes - Swakop is renowned for the number of thefts so just be aware of it and act accordingly - It is still one of the nicest places.

Go enjoy the North - The Kunene is beautiful and you can spend a few days at Purros Canyon watching elephants. Places like Van Zyl's Pass is a breeze in a Patrol - just take it as slow as possible and as fast as necessary :thumbup:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
transnamib
Full Name: Pursell
Nickname: Mike
Home Town: Nottingham
Current 4x4: Patrol 2.8 GR SE
Home Language: English

Post by transnamib »

Thanks for your fast and helpful replies everyone.
Josh - your advice about Swakop understood. It was awareness of this growing problem that made me post as I have stayed in Swakop twice before with no problems at all. I don't plan to stay there on this trip. The largest place I will stop will probably be Henties Bay as a starting point for a trip into the crater. As you say, common sense and awareness, just like most places.
James, I am only just discovering the usefulness of Facebook, which I have been forcibly introduced to by my children, so will contact you some time soon. What to hire? Ideally a pop top Troopie conversion (I hate roof tents, partly because despite what everyone says I don't believe they are secure - predators are quite capable of climbing - and partly because they are a pain to deal with alone.) I have the Patrol fitted out so I can sleep in the back, and I much prefer to be in the vehicle rather than swaying about on top of it.
David - thanks for the GPS advice. I would not travel without one. I always take a paper map and a magnetic compass and, to the amusement of friends, a sun-compass which along with an accurate navigation log has turned out to be quite useful in the Sahara. I take your point about having someone else around should something go wrong, so I will be using the overlanding forums nearer the time to try and link up with some other desert obsessed idiot (My wife's description, when she thinks I am not listening.)
BABELAAS
Full Name: LOWE
Nickname: MARC
Home Town: BRONKHORSTSPRUIT
Current 4x4: 2015 Navara 4X4
Home Language: ENGLISH

Post by BABELAAS »

Go Go Go, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
BABELAAS

2015 Navara 4X4

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”